Sunday, December 12, 2010

Words as Art

Typography (τύποςγραφή) is one of my favorite abstract art styles, albeit I don't create much myself. I love words, quotations, phrases, sayings, etc. It's amazes me that out of the volumes of words any one person speaks on any given day, only a few selects snippets and sound bites manage travel immortally through history. Could it be possible that only a handful of what we say is at all meaningful? If so, then we talk way too damn much. Whatever the case may be, its impact on me is effective.

At the request of an artist, Wendy Sheridan, who likes to use found objects, words, and scrappy bits in her wonderful art, all of us at the library were given scraps of paper to write or draw whatever we wished for her to use in her art later. Here is a very crappy cell-phone picture of the Margaret Meade quotation I chose to write (a la typography style).

"Never underestimate the power of a few committed individuals to change the world,
indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

No comments:

Post a Comment