Saturday, December 31, 2011

[ 365 ] appreciate!

ap·pre·ci·ate

1. to be grateful or thankful for: They appreciated his thoughtfulness. 
2. to value or regard highly; place a high estimate on: to appreciate good wine.
3. to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect: to appreciate the dangers of a situation.
4. to raise in value.



This upcoming year, I am taking a cue from another amazing artist, Erin Perry of Altered by the Sea, and choosing a word to focus on in 2012, rather than a resolution.  2012 shall be the year I APPRECIATE life in every definitive sense: be grateful, regard highly, be keenly aware, and raise (myself and others) in value. 

Anyone can promise themselves something that then may or may not get achieved. We all lose and gain weight, pick up and drop habits, and save or spend money. Those things are superficial at best.  Our core is really what defines us. The content of our character, so to speak.

I find Erin's idea of working hard on one word, all year, a no-fail way to handle the gift of yearly re-birth we are given each time that ball drops in Madison Square Garden.  Even making one inch in growth in relation to your "word" means you've achieved what you set out to do.

Last year, I set out to sketch once a day for a year, and, miraculously, I did. I thank everyone who has checked daily, weekly, monthly or just a couple of times for coming along with me on my personal journey.  I'm sad this year has ended, as doing the daily sketch has become part of my routine.  Who knows? Maybe I'll see how long I can go.  We will have to wait until next year to find out! ;)

With love to you all and wishing you a transformatively amazing 2012, Destiny

3 comments:

  1. It's been wonderful -- and occasionally startling -- to have a daily peek inside your highly creative -- and occasionally warped -- mind every day for the past year. Loved what you said about our core and any improvement equalling success. Guess you're not just a pretty face who's handy with a pencil....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved your daily sketches this year!!!! I couldn't wait to see what clever title you'd give to your amazing pictures. Hope you keep going, but I totally get it if you don't. Even though it's not quite 2012, I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny - thanks so much for your kind words! I love seeing your photos as well. You are quite skilled with that lens.

    Margot - You're always an inspiration to me! Your "core" is amazing and I hope at some point I achieve even a fraction of the level of kindness you hold. Also, I'm not always a pretty face either. Ha.

    ReplyDelete